If you own a cat then you may have a basic understanding of the types of food you should and should not offer. Yet vets are seeing an increasing number of overweight cats in their surgeries and feline obesity is on the rise. Owners are either oblivious to the amounts of food they should be offering or are simply choosing to spoil their cat by offering inappropriate foods as treats throughout the day. Some foods can encourage your cat to become a fussy eater, whilst others can be downright dangerous. This list highlights a number of food products which you should NEVER feed to your cat.
Alcohol on any quantity can cause serious problems for your cat. In the mildest case it can lead to erratic behaviour and sickness, but given in large volumes will lead to coma and possibly death.
If you are offering your cat fish or meat (chicken for example) you need to take care removing the bones. Bones can easily choke a cat and they can also lacerate the digestive system.
Chocolate and caffeinated drinks
Chocolate and drinks containing caffeine also contain theobromine or theophylline. These substances can be life threatening to your cat as they are toxic and can bring maine coon kittens for sale near me about heart failure.
If you are cutting off the fat from your meat don’t think it is OK to offer it to the cat. Just as with humans, excessive amounts of fat lead to weight gain in cats and in the worst case can result in pancreatitis.
Grapes, Raisins and Macadamia Nuts
The toxin is unknown, but grapes, raisins and macadamia nuts can damage a cat’s kidneys.
Excessive amounts of liver are harmful to a cat because it can bring about vitamin A toxicity. This has a detrimental effect on both the muscles and bones.
Milk and other dairy
Many people believe that a saucer of milk is the most appropriate drink to offer a cat. However, excessive consumption of milk can lead to diarrhoea in many adult cats because they do not have the ability to break down the lactose. You can buy specialist cat milk which does not contain lactose and this should be offered as an alternative. If you are feeding your cat dry cat food you should always offer clean, fresh water.
Certain mushrooms can contain toxins which can be life threatening to a cat. The cat could quickly go into toxic shock after eating a mushroom.
Onion and Garlic
Onions in particular are very harmful to cats. They contain sulphides and disulphides which can lead to anaemia by damaging the red blood cells. Whilst garlic contains the same toxins it is less harmful than onion, but still should never be offered.